Saturday, March 2, 2013

Milkmakers Review


With the arrival of my first son, I knew that I wanted to breastfeed. Not only would breastfeeding provide many health benefits to my little one, but it was a great way to bond as well. Fast forward to the present and I am currently breastfeeding my third son, and this time I am going to try to continue until he turns a year old. Working full time makes it difficult, especially since it is not easy to pump at work. During the day, when I work, we supplement with formula. When I return home, I breastfeed 3-4 times a day. As the year progresses, I definitely feel like my supply has decreased. With only a month left to his first birthday, I was looking for ways to help my supply when I came across the company milkmakers, which sells lactation cookies. Here is the story about how the company was formed:

I’m Emily Kane, founder of milkmakers. I created milkmakers cookies because I needed them.

I went back to work after my first daughter was born and found myself in a new situation — trying to manage work life, home life, and fitting in the time to pump during an already busy day. My milk supply started to go down and I worried that I wouldn’t be able to provide enough milk for my baby. 

When a lactation consultant first told me about lactation cookies it seemed too good to be true: I could eat delicious cookies AND increase my milk supply. To my surprise, I saw an immediate boost in my milk production. 

As I baked each batch of lactation cookies and realized the powerful support that they provided to breastfeeding moms, I wondered why more moms didn't know about lactation cookies. And why weren't stores carrying them?

These questions lead me to my mission to support breastfeeding moms (and their babies) by offering lactation cookies to moms everywhere.

My thoughts: I couldn't wait for my package of cookies to arrive in the mail. I was sent the starter pack of 10 oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. The cookies could not have arrived at a better time. The day they arrived in the mail, my little one came down with the stomach bug. For the next few days he could not tolerate his formula. Since I had a week off from work, I thought that maybe I could try to breastfeed him the whole day. Since I was already concerned about my supply, I wasn't sure how I was going to pull that off. Fortunately, milkmakers cookies helped out. 



As much as I had read about how lactation cookies help boost your milk supply, I have to admit I was a bit skeptical. How could these cookies really help? Well it is because they are made with oats, brewer's yeast, and flax seed, which are three traditional remedies that help supply. The package suggests to eat 1-2 cookies a day, and so on most days I ate two cookies. Even after the first day I noticed a difference in my supply. I was amazed that they worked. Despite the fact that I have gone four months without breastfeeding during the hours of 6-3, I was able to breastfeed my little one all day long for a week.  My second concern was whether the cookies would taste good. Let me tell you, they taste great, and after having my first cookie, I had a craving for more!

Last week I went back to work and since I ate all of my cookies, I noticed a decline in my supply after a few days. Since I have had a craving for another cookie, I guess it is time to buy more!

Disclosure: I received a starter package to review. No other compensation was received. All opinions are my own and are my honest opinion of the product.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila