Sunday, March 13, 2011

Faith On Trial

For the past year, my pastor has been speaking on the books of Acts, and over the last few weeks we have been studying Paul's imprisonment during the reign of Felix and Festus. We have been studying Paul's Faith on Trial as he presents his testimony before King Agrippa, and today we looked at our Faith on Trial, as we looked at the book of Acts Chapter 26.

I guess I never pondered the concept much, that every day our faith is on trial. To be a Christian, or a Christ follower, means that we have repented of our sins, we have accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior, and we should be showing fruit in our lives. Paul says in Acts 26: 19 "Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all of the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance."

How do others that we interact with every day see us? If we were on trial and our family, friends, coworkers were our witnesses, would they give evidence that we are not a Christian, a lukewarm Christian, or a Christian sold out to God?

As Jesus states in Revelation, being a lukewarm Christian is not a good thing. In Revelation Chapter 3: 15-16 Jesus says "I know your works, that you are neither cold or hot. So then because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth."

Every day we need to show the fruit of the Spirit in our lives. We need to be reading the Bible, God's word, so that He can speak to us. Living the life of a Christian is not easy. We encounter trials that should strengthen us and bring us closer to God. Our actions should show evidence that we are the children of God. As the pastor was speaking today, I started to think of my life and how I can improve the evidence for my personal relationship with my Lord. Most of my co-workers that I am closest to, know that I am a Christian because I have spoken with them of my relationship. They have asked questions about God and I have suggested that they might really enjoy coming to my church.

However, I realize that sometimes I get caught up with gossip with other co-workers and some negativity. This is an especially hard time for many because of the economy. I already know that there will be job cuts where I work. People complain about the government, as well as their bosses. But we need to remember that they are appointed by God to that position and we still need to submit to the government. In Romans 13 it states: "Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. " So this is the area that I want to work on. I do not want to get caught up in negativity, but instead I want to be a light for God in a darkened world. I want to be able to encourage others and lift up others. I do not want to blend in this world, but stick out so that others see me as different.

So if your faith was on trial would the evidence of your relationship with God, be enough to prove you are a Christian? Remember, that everyday is a trial, and one day we will stand on trial before the Lord, and He will either say that He never knew us or accept us into His Kingdom. Will He say to you well done good and faithful servant?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila