Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules Review

Having two boys at home, I knew that the newly released Blu-ray and DVD of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules would be a hit. For many children, middle school can be a difficult time in their lives. As they leave the comfort of their elementary school and embark on a new adventure, they are both nervous and excited at the same time. I can remember that 7th grade was a difficult year for me. There were two junior highs in my city, and many of my close elementary school friends, of course, went to the other junior high. Moving to another school district in 8th grade was actually a great thing for me, because I felt like I could start all over again and I really loved 8th grade on. I think since middle school can be a difficult time for many kids, they relate to Greg and Rowley in the books and the movie of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Here is a little about the movie:

Greg Heffley is about to discover that there is something worse than middle school- his own family! Based on the 2011 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice™ Award for Best Book Series, the original film cast returns in DIARY OF A WIMPY KID: RODRICK RULES, available on Blu-ray and DVD on June 21st. This flick takes sibling rivalry to entirely new levels as big brother and little brother wrestle through growing pains.

Just back from summer vacation, Greg Heffley (Zachary Gordon, National Treasure: Book of Secrets) and his friend Rowley (Robert Capron, The Sorcerer's Apprentice) enter the next grade as undersized weaklings in their school. A bully favorite, Greg tries not to get noticed by anyone except the pretty new girl, Holly Hills (Peyton List, 27 Dresses). And at home, Greg is still at war with his older brother, Rodrick (Devon Bostick, "Degrassi") until their mom Susan (Rachael Harris, The Hangover) instigates a 'Mom Bucks' program so Greg and Rodrick can earn play money by doing chores and -gasp!-being nice to each other. Calamity ensues when their parents return from vacation and dad Frank (Steve Zahn, A Perfect Getaway) finds evidence that Rodrick secretly threw a houseparty with his band, Löded Diper. As they struggle with school and compete for ‘Mom Bucks,’ the brothers discover that avoiding trouble is easier if they unite—and their once-twisted partnership grows into a hilariously playful and sometimes mischievous friendship.




My thoughts
: We watched the movie as a family, and except for my youngest son, we really enjoyed it. My four-year old was a little two young to really sit still and watch it. When I was younger, there was sibling rivalry between myself and my younger brother and sister, just like there is rivalry between my two boys. I think that is a normal part of life, so it is easy to relate to the relationship between Greg and his brother Rodrick. However, Rodrick is just plain mean at times. I really felt for Greg being stuck in the middle of his older brother and his younger brother.

This movie will definitely make you laugh. There are quite a few funny scenes-such as when Greg decides to take the advice of Rodrick and use his brother's paper for his assignment. The teacher makes him read it out loud and I think that Greg learns that it is not the best idea to use his brother's papers again. My oldest son's favorite part is when Rodrick gets a hold of Greg's Diary, while visiting their grandpa in a retirement community. Greg runs into his crush, Holly, at the retirement community and writes about her, so he is mortified when Rodrick takes it to show it to her. He jumps out of bed and runs after Rodrick, throughout the center, forgetting that he is only wearing his underwear.

Despite, how annoying and mean Rodrick is, they are brothers and they will always be a part of each other's life. So while I felt horrible for Greg at times, I still wanted them to learn how to get along. If you are looking for a family, friendly movie that will make you laugh, I would recommend the Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules.

Disclosure: I received a copy of the DVD in exchange for this post. All opinions are my own and are my honest opinion.


1 comment:

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila