Saturday, November 5, 2011

Think Geek: World of Harry Potter Clue Game Review



 My oldest son loves anything Harry Potter! We own all of the current movies, and he has many of the figurines as well. We can't wait until the last movie comes out on DVD next week. It is no surprised then, that he was thrilled when we received the World of Harry Potter Clue Game from ThinkGeek to review. If you have been a regular reader of my blog, you know how much I love ThinkGeek, an online store with very unique apparel, gadgets, and toys. 

About the game: In the World of Harry Potter Clue Game, a student has vanished from Hogwarts, and your goal is to determine who did it, the location it happened, and what spell or item was used. You have the choice to play as Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Luna, or Neville to solve this mystery. On each turn, players roll two dice. One die has a location, star, or dark mark on it, while the other die has numbers.  On the first die, depending on what you roll, you will either pick a help card, a dark mark card, or else turn a wheel one notch at a particular location. By turning the wheel, doors are opened or closed in that location, the fireplaces of the floo network are lit or unlit, and the dark mark can also appear. The second die tells you how many spaces you may move, unless you choose to use the floo network. At the end when you are finally ready to make an accusation, you will travel to the Burrow to make your guess.



Our thoughts: As a child, I loved the game Clue, so I got to admit I was excited to play this game myself. As I was setting up the board and reading the directions, I thought at first the game might be too difficult to play with my four and seven year old. The age suggestion is 9 and above. But my husband and I each played with one of them providing minimal help with my oldest, and quite a bit of help with my youngest. My boys love this game! Every day they want to play. Fortunately, the game goes fairly quick, so often we play at least two games. My oldest always wants to play Harry Potter, while my youngest like to mix things up. Although the help cards are used only occasionally in the game, my boys love reading about their newest ally or a special spell or item they have acquired to help defend their character from the dark mark cards. And of course, it is exciting when you finally are ready to make your accusation. So who did it in our last game? It was Lucius Malfoy, with a Jinxed Broomstick, in the Malfoy Manor.


So if you know a Harry Potter fan, this game would make a perfect gift. Just think, Christmas is right around the corner.


Disclosure: I received the above item to review. No other compensation was received. All opinions are my own and my honest opinion of the product.

1 comment:

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila