Sunday, July 26, 2009

Fireproof and God's Amazing Love

Have you ever watched the movie Fireproof? Kirk Cameron stars as Caleb Holt, who is a firefighter, whose marriage is falling apart and is heading towards divorce. When they decide that they should file for divorce, Caleb's father asks him to try a 40-day experiment called The Love Dare. During the experiment, Caleb is asked to complete a specific simple act of kindness for his wife each day. Trying to fulfill the experiment leaves him frustrated. He is about to give up, when he talks to his father about what he is going through. He tells his father "I did everything I could to demonstrate that I care about her, to show value for her, and she spat in my face! She does not deserve this, Dad. I'm not doing it anymore! How am I supposed to show love to somebody over and over and over who constantly rejects me?"

It is at this point, that Caleb realizes that is exactly how God could feel about us. How often do we go along our daily routine getting caught up with the complexities of this world? This scene to me was the most important and profound scene of the whole movie. It really puts into perspective how we treat God. Fortunately, we have a God who never gives up on us. Despite the fact that we do not deserve God's love, he sent his Son to die on a cross to save us from our sins. He continues to show his love for us over and over and over and yet at times we may turn our back on him. He has freed us from our sins and wants to be our Lord and Savior.

One of my favorite hymns is "Amazing Grace." If you listen to Chris Tomlin's version "Amazing Grace (My Chains are Broken)", he sings "My chains are gone. I've been set free. My God, my Savior has ransomed me. And like a flood his mercy reigns, Unending Love, Amazing Grace." Even though we do not deserve it, God loves us and if we trust in Him to be our Lord and Savior, He has broken those chains of sin that keep us separated from Him. There is no one else that could love us that much. How blessed are we!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila